Re: [stella] POLL

Subject: Re: [stella] POLL
From: crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:23:11 -0500 (EST)
In article <3.0.32.19970303142329.006b2040@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:

>I am aware that most of the people here treat 2600 programming as a hobby
>and a relatively low priority in their life as a whole.  That isn't going
>to keep me from trying to encourage people.  I wish you wouldn't feel
>offended by this goal.  I'm not cracking whips and screaming "Where the
>fuck is Solaris2 you lazy bastards!?!?"
>
>The only reason the Supercharger CD came to fruition in its beautiful and
>mature form was because I insisted that the project be taken AS seriously
>as a commercial endeavor, despite it being a "hobby" project and yes,
>despite it only being a small part of my life.  Small doesn't mean it
>wasn't important or that I wasn't very concerned about its quality.  I
>should hope that any prospective 2600 programmers also treat their hobby
>seriously and set high standards for their work.  Have fun, have a life
>away from the terminal, but take pride in all your work, otherwise why bother?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Yes and it took over 2 years for the Supercharger CD to be released. So I
don't think it's too unreasonable to assume it will probably be another
2 years before we begin to see a significant amount of "flashy" 2600 games
being released.

We're all studying simple (comparitively speaking) source codes and
experimenting with simple game designs because we're all very new to this
kind of programming. We're all getting our feet wet together. The atari
2600 is, without a doubt, the most difficult machine I've ever attempted to
programme for, and I got my start in computer programming by programming
in machine language on PUNCHED CARDS! It's going to take a lot of time
and since this is a hobby, that lot of time has to come from our free time.
And in North American society free time is a precious and rare commodity.

So patience. It will happen when it will happens. New games WILL come,
"flashy" games WILL come, but they won't come overnight. Heck, I was suprised
as heck to see that Okie Dokie came out so soon after the rebirth in interest
in programming for the Atari 2600. But then again there may be some truth to
the rumour that Bob Colbert is actually an alien genius from another galaxy
that has been sent to earth to live amoungst us.

                                    CRACKERS
                         (these things take time from hell!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ad329/Profile.html  | \^^/