Re: [stella] Atari 2600 Sound Scale

Subject: Re: [stella] Atari 2600 Sound Scale
From: crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:12:47 -0500 (EST)
In article , you wrote:
>In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.970309171432.10923C-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>
>>I don't think they are necessarily the same from distortion to distortion.
>>Not to belittle your work, but getting accurate cent values away from
>>perfect pitch is more useful than the subjective slightly, very, and close
>>adjectives.
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
>
>I don't know about accurate cent values, but for the notes that would register
>on my tuner (many of the ones below middle C just drove the thing nuts).
>
>The ones I listed as close were so close to the note they were only off
>by 1%-4%.  The ones that where "slightly off" were between 12%-15% out of
>tune. The ones listed as "Sharp" were 25%-27% out. Very Sharp were Between
>46%-53% out. And Extremely Sharp were 78% out.
>
>For the ones that wouldn't register, I judged them by how much I had to adjust
>the pitch on my synth to get an exact match.
>
>A lot of the distortions are just not going to register on a tuning metre
>at all. Definetly not on a digital one, you'll have better luck with analogue.
>
>Actually, now that I think about it... it would probably be easiest to get
>an accurate measure by bringing a sine wave on a synth into sync with the
>2600, and then reading where you're at on the synth.
>
>I think the reason it's so difficult to get the 2600 to respond well to a
>tuning metre might be something to do with high freaquency noise coming
>off the processor (although the 2600 certainly makes less of it than any
>other 8-bit computer I've heard).
>
>                                     CRACKERS
>                        (Driving my tuner crazy from hell!!)

@#$@#!!!!

ARRRRGGHH!!!!

I hate it when I forget to change the E-mail address to "stella@xxxxxxxxxxx"
I wish there was a programme that handled E-mail lists properly so you don't
have to do everything manually.

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ad329/Profile.html  | \^^/