[stella] Displaying scores - how?

Subject: [stella] Displaying scores - how?
From: emooney1@xxxxxxxx (Erik K Mooney)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:22:12 EST
Before I spend a week barking up the wrong tree, can someone reveal how
2600 games display scores?  (not playfield like Combat, I mean high-res
like Missile Command, Millipede, Defender, Pac-man, etc.)  I suspect its
three copies of each player, rewriting GRP0 and GRP1 between display of
each copy.. am I right?  This would account for the six-digit limit on
all 2600 games I've seen except Dark Cavern, which had three dummy zeroes
anyway.

If I'm right, is there any easy way to rip the font used in one of those
games so I don't have to reinvent the wheel?  (also, using the same
typeface might lend an air of classic-game credibility to the program.)