Re: [stella] Programming for Credit

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming for Credit
From: Chris Pepin <cpepin1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:26:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997 crackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Did you fix the bug in the verticle blanking subroutine? Without the fix the
> programme won't work on a real 2600 (it'll work on the emulators though).
>
> Check the stella archive if you're unsure, I posted the fix.
>
> If you want to have real fun, change the block size and playfield data and
> see what kind of pictures you can draw.

	I used the fixed version you posted.  Looking at various
programming examples, I'm coming to the conclusion that this is going to
be MUCH harder then I anticipated.  The Stella Guide makes it sound
allright, but when it actually comes down to coding, the syntax doesn't
make a whole lot of obvious sense.  The problem with the Stella guide is
it doesn't give any programming examples.

If someone could actually whip together a small guide listing actual
coding syntax and examples of how to they fit together.  For example,
in the Stella Guide it shows color and luminance values in binary, but
to actually use color values, they have to be in hex.  Very confusing.

While looking at the luminance section, why does it skip every other
number?

Chris Pepin
cpepin1@xxxxxxxx

Atari 2600 Fun Facts & Info Guide / Maniac Mansion (NES) FAQ
Tom Swift Books / http://www.grfn.org/~cpepin1/index.html