Re: [stella] another demo (don't say I'm not trying!)

Subject: Re: [stella] another demo (don't say I'm not trying!)
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:13:45 +0100 (MET)
At 08.48 28/03/97 -0600, Lee Seitz wrote:

>Piero Cavina boldly stated:
>>While on PC Atari it is perfect, I noticed some problems with Stella and
>>another emulator. Looks like that some lines are "floating", and the whole
>>image expands and shrinks periodically.

>>Can you confirm that on a real Atari the image is always steady?
>
>I just tried it out last night via Makewav.  Pretty impressive.  Now I
>know how games like Taz and Fast Food work. 8)

And that didn't include the sprite replication feature I've developed in the
previous demo. :)
That program could easily become an horizontal-scrolling racing game,
thought my current project is more ambitious...

Please note that I've used double scanline resolution. Before you ask, no,
I'm not going to do it in single resolution, it would be a real nightmare.

>I was going to ask about something which I think is the problem you
>just mentioned.  As sprite 0 passes over the top line of each instance
>of sprite 1, that sprite 1 moves one (I think) scanline up or down,
>depending on which way sprite 0 is moving.

This should happen on some emulators, as others have told me that on the
real thing everything is ok. Which one did you use?

I think that when a game looks OK on the real Atari 2600 we shouldn't care a
lot  of what happens on emulators. Isn't life already hard enough? ;)

Ciao,
 P.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/