Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary

Subject: Re: [stella] Here's a rough binary
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:15:09 -0700 (MST)
>I've got the TAKE and INVENTORY mostly working, and I'll try and post a
>beta version as soon as there is actually a working puzzle or two--in
>the next few days I hope.
>
>Down to my last 400 bytes of standard ROM.  Gotta do some compressing ;)

You can save memory in several ways I can see:

1. Shifting the entire rendering reoutine into another bank of memory, or
   some routine or other.  I can imagine the difficulties of writing source
   code for a bankswitched system like the Supercharger's.  It might require
   some kind of post-processing which either merges two files or strips
   erroneous blank space.  Someone should eventually look into this.

2. Shifting one set of rooms into a different bank of memory.  Even if the
   area of $F800-$FFF0 can't be made entirely into rooms, one could copy
   the overlapping code into it if necessary.  This would also better
   facilitate conversion into an 8k cartridge if need be.

3. Compressing the font.  That seems like the most obvious way.  What might
   not be so obvious are things like using the bottom of H as the top of U,
   and other such coolness.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/