Re: [stella] Linking 2600 consoles?

Subject: Re: [stella] Linking 2600 consoles?
From: "Mike St. Clair" <mstclair@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:03:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Songbird wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Chris Wilkson - MCD wrote:
>
> > Ya know, I was thinking about this a couple of years ago.  Maybe even
> > before doom came out.  I was thinking that if you used one machine
> > to do the kernal, a second machine could do game logic, etc. They would
> > both have 1 controller port for a total of 2, and the only data you'd need
> > to send back and forth would be one set of joystick data, certain registers
> > (collision detection for example), and you'd need to send tia info to the
> > kernal machine.  Knowing what I know now, which still isn't much, I think
> > this particular setup would be difficult at best.
>
> This sounds like a nightmare to manage.  I'd much rather have both games
> run the exact same piece of code, and just use the network for
> transmitting joystick information.  This is the same as most Lynx games,
> and even Jag Doom uses this same, simple algorithm.
>
> You'll really bog down if you try to transmit game logic, etc., across a
> cable.

I think Carl's way definitely sounds like the way to go, particularly when
bandwidth is limited (and when isn't it?).  Especially when there are no
random elements in the gameplay at all.  If you were generating random
numbers for anything, that would obviously have to be confirmed from each
console involved rather than letting them generate their own, and would be
the beginning of complicating the model.

***Mike St. Clair***mstclair@xxxxxxxxx***irc:SaintMick***

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/