Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 07:25:34 -0700 (MST)

>I really don't think my 500 is up to doing
>a good 2600 emulation... besides, is it
>really much faster than testing it on the
>Supercharger?  How long does it take to
>dump a 4K cart into the 2600?  It would
>seem to me a script could be made to
>assemble, makewav, and play it.

That's something I do.  But it's a bit awkward because makewav's wavs can't
play from DOS with any player I'm aware of.  the Amiga probably won't have
that problem.

I'd very much like a "playbin" program to be made that sends the .bin file
directly to the sound card.

>In fact, I was going to try to do it
>all on my C64... my favourite assembler
>is called Turbo Assembler, most demo
>coders use it.  I've got the C source
>for the Makewave program now, I could
>do an assembly version of that pretty
>easy, I think, and I've got a WAV player
>for the 64.  Perhaps I could make all
>three program resident, as I only need
>2 or 4K of object code space, plenty
>left over... any one have any thoughts?

These WAVs take up much memory.  Again, a "playbin" approach that directly
bangs the SID with the bits would be necessary.  Or perhaps a parallel port
modification, as I know Kevin Horton's "Bankzilla" uses an assembly language
program in Z80 to send "fake sound" down a single pin.

I've used Turbo Assembler, though, and it's terrific.

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/