Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 emu for Amiga
From: Robin Harbron <macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 14:03:56 -0400
Nick S Bensema wrote:

> That's something I do.  But it's a bit awkward because makewav's wavs can't
> play from DOS with any player I'm aware of.  the Amiga probably won't have
> that problem.

Right, everything should be able to be done from the Workbench, just
between
a shell window and the regular "desktop".

> I'd very much like a "playbin" program to be made that sends the .bin file
> directly to the sound card.

> These WAVs take up much memory.  Again, a "playbin" approach that directly
> bangs the SID with the bits would be necessary.  Or perhaps a parallel port
> modification, as I know Kevin Horton's "Bankzilla" uses an assembly language
> program in Z80 to send "fake sound" down a single pin.

That's a good idea... I was thinking of the 3 step method, as it seemed
a fairly easy port, but to do it all in one step like that would be
really convinient.  I wasn't concerned about memory, as I have a 512K
REU for the 64, and another 2meg expansion, plus I'll be getting a 16MB
card for my 65816 in the 64...  However, if this method works (which it
should), a stock 64 & 1541 could make a really great development system,
that you could buy for $20 at a thrift shop!  Do away with needing
multi-thousand $ systems :)  Not that there aren't other uses for those
machines...

> I've used Turbo Assembler, though, and it's terrific.

Agreed. ;)

Robin Harbron
macbeth@xxxxxxxxxxx

--