Re: [stella] Cart ROM on CPU board?

Subject: Re: [stella] Cart ROM on CPU board?
From: Lee Seitz <lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 14:55:04 -0500 (CDT)
Frank or Kari Palazzolo boldly stated:

>I just bought a 2600 this weekend, and upon disassembly I noticed
>there are traces on the CPU board for an extra chip.  It looks like they
>may have thought about putting a cart rom chip on the CPU board.
>
>Am I the only one with this Rev. board or are they all this way?
>It says... Rev B - CO10433

This has been discussed before.  (Either here on in rgvc.)  Popular
opinion is that Atari planned to include Combat on the CPU board as a
built-in game.  These plans were scrapped for unknown reasons.  I'm
not sure which 2600s have the empty slot and which don't.  I suspect
all 6-switchers do and no Jrs. do.  I don't know about 4-switchers,
but I suspect not.  Someone successfully mounted a Combat ROM in one
and tried some games, I think.  I believe it's limited to 4k games.

Other things apparently planned but not done were stereo sound (with
speakers built in to the console) and possibly an LED.  (There's
apparently some code in Combat that looked suspiciously like it would
turn an LED on and off, but I've forgotten the end result of the
investigation into that, if it was announced.)

--
   Lee K. Seitz * lkseitz@xxxxxxxxxx * http://fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Classic Video Games Nexus Maintainer (fly.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/cvg/nexus/)

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/