Re: Road Runner sprites (was: Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars)

Subject: Re: Road Runner sprites (was: Re: [stella] Cosmic Ark stars)
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:51:25 +0200
>Uh, there were no comments on Eckhard's work... don't you think he would
>deserves some applause? :)

Thanks! :-)

>Now, speaking of exotic programming techniques, here's another obscure thing...
>
>How could they put three multi-color, single-scanline-resolution,
>no-flickering sprites in the same vertical space in Atari's "Road Runner"?
>The sprites are Road Runner, Wiley Coyote and the Truck.

I think Road Runner is player0, Wile E. Coyote is player1, the bird food and the
bombs are missile0, the left half of the truck is the ball and the right half
of the truck is missile1.

If you look closely at the right half of the truck, you will notice, that it
changes it's colour, when Coyote is on screen. The left half of the truck first
has the same colour as the road marks, which are playfield graphics, until it
has been drawn over them. Then it changes colours.

If you look at the wheels of the truck, you will notice, that there are no
gaps in the graphics. everythink is drawn in a seperate line. So I think it
is just some precise size and HMOVE changes.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

--
Archives available at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/