Re: [stella] New Tetris clone on my page

Subject: Re: [stella] New Tetris clone on my page
From: Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Eckhard Stolberg)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:04:08 +0200
>There is a new Tetris clone for the 2600 on my page, by Colin Hughes.
>
>This was just a programming exercise but it seems to play well emulated.  It
>hasn't yet been tried on a real 2600, though.  Colin has only his laptop
>486SX25, and I only have my 486dx66 with the 2600 in the closet and a mess
>in front of my TV that needs to go away.

I have tried it on my 2600 and at least on my PAL system it is unplayable.

The falling stone keeps rotating as long as the button is pressed, which
is a bad thing alone IMHO. But in this game it rotates so fast, that you
can't control it. Also the repeated movement, if you keep pressing the stick
left or right, seems a bit too fast for me.

The stones are not random at all. They are exactly the same in every round.

The text line on the top doesn't display any text, and it seems as if the
program is doing a line too much in every second frame. That makes the screen
jump up and down one line very fast. Also that kills the colour information
on Pal systems in the frames with an odd number of lines, which makes the
allready very bright colours of the stones look almost white.

It plays  and looks pretty good on the emulater though.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg