Re: [stella] Shooting games

Subject: Re: [stella] Shooting games
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 00:23:43 -0700 (MST)
>I thought about smooth diagonals, they should be pretty easy, but I need
>to use both missile graphics for them.
>Just use a 4 pixel missile ( or ball if only one diagonal is needed )
>and overlap it with the playfield edge. HMOVE it every line to match up
>with the gradient.

If you ever get a real 2600, perhaps you should consider slapping around
the HMOVE variables to see if you can get something similar to the Cosmic
Ark stars, but more line-like.  Problem with that is, people without
Superchargers will be very mad at you, and there's a chance it can't
be done.

>However I really want to use both p0/p1/m0/m1 for the monster graphic,
>so at the moment I've made the 3D backdrop by only using PF graphics. It
>looks at bit crude, but I'll leave any improvements to it until I've got
>my monsters in. ( I might try interlacing the use of missiles between
>the monster and the diagonals - I'd only have to do it in the region
>where the monster is active. )

Using both players for the monster gives you a good 16 bits to work with.
By careful designing around the middle, you can even shrink it and expand
it by one or two pixels without changing graphics, just by making them
overlap.

>I'm thinking of a 1942 style shooter with jets - I should be able to
>allow flying above and below clouds using the priority functions...

Sky Jinks had a cool effect where the clouds actually cast a shadow on the
plane.  Perhaps when flying above clouds, the plane can cast a shadow?

Not knowing the nature of either the clouds or the shadow, I don't know
if this is possible.