Re: [stella] Supercharger RAM - why the reluctance??

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger RAM - why the reluctance??
From: crackers@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.970617195915.18808A-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, you wrote:
>Other than making a cartridge I don't understand why you wouldn't want to
>use the Supercharger's generous 6K RAM.  Is holding a physical cart in
>your hands so important that you'd sacrifice resolution for a game that
>seems to cry out for a decent res dynamic bitmap?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Eh!? How does "Life" cry out for a dynamic bitmap? This was a game
that was done with reversed spaces for graphics. It seems to me that
the playfield graphics are more than up to it for this game. But you're
right, to keep track of everything I think you will need to use
the Supercharger's RAM.

Using the playfield graphics at 4 scanlines each block will give you a nice
40x40 display which will be 1600 bits to keep track of. Sounds like a job
for the supercharger to me.

The last message about computer life started giving me some ideas about
the game. Using the playfield graphics for the cells means you'll have the
sprites, ball, and missles free for...  ...other interesting uses.

The gears in my head are already spinning on some variations for Life.

As for releasing games on Supercharger CD... man, those burners are really
starting to come down in price! Might soon be able to home spin them
as easily as cassettes.

                                   CRACKERS
                            (It's alive from hell!!!!)

--

Accordionist - Wethifl Musician - Atari 2600 Collector | /\/\
*NEW CrAB URL* http://www.hwcn.org/~ad329/crab.html ***| \^^/