Re: [stella] Game update: PCMSG 2.1 (binary)

Subject: Re: [stella] Game update: PCMSG 2.1 (binary)
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:52:15 -0700
Piero Cavina wrote:

> >Hello Piero,
> >
> >I have tried your game on my SC. As you expected, it runs too fast and it
> >looses the colour on PAL. Also there are some bugs.
>
> Finally I tried it on the SC too. The loss of color is the usual
> "odd-number-of-PAL-scanlines-syndrome". No problem.
> Slowing down things must be done but will give me some problems: while it's
> immediate for the player (2 bytes coordinates and fractional increments, I
> have to change some constants), I've used only 1 byte for enemies x
> positions, but for a slower, smooth movement I will have to change them to
> 2 bytes values to be able to use fractional increments. That means eating 9
> more bytes of memory and there aren't many left. Oh well...
>
> >If you move the ship all the way to the left, there is a ghost ship and a
> >ghost
> >shot on the left border. If you turn your ship around in that situation
> >whithout moving it forward, the shots keep comming from where the ghost shot
> >was stuck.
>
> Nasty bug... because it doesn't happen on any emulator! (tried on PC Atari,
> Stella and VCS "special").
> These emulator are really nice with programmers...  PC Atari in particular.

Might have something to do with the HMOVE-black-lines-on-the-left
thing.  Cycle counts are probably close enough for emulators but just
one or a couple counts off for the real thing...

> Speaking of the old idea, do you mean that you liked the dots playfield or
> there were other things in particular? Please note that almost everything
> is still there in the source... only commented out! :-)
> The fact is that I really wanted something with shoots. And at least two of
> them - I've always found single shooting games a bit sad IMHO.
> Maybe I should "merge" the old and the new...?

Yeah.  A shooting and collecting type hybrid could be great.  Maybe the
enemy ships draw or build something unless killed, and if they succeed
you lose.  You can unbuild their work by flying over the objects they
leave on-screen in addition to killing them beforehand???  Or perhaps a
rescue scenario, where you fly through the enemies to retrieve something
and have to bring it to a safe place...

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/