RE: [stella] Color-cycling

Subject: RE: [stella] Color-cycling
From: "Mike St. Clair" <mstclair@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:58:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Matt Pritchard wrote:

> > >In Pitfall, for example, every color register went through something
> > like
> > >this:
> > >
> > >       LDA ColorToGet
> > >       EOR $88
> > >       AND $87
> > >       STA ColorRegister
> >
> > They wasted 6 cycles for not so useful things like color cycling and
> > b/w,
> > and still could write a single-scanline resolution game... >:-(
> >
> > While we're on the subject... couldn't the b&w mode have been done in
> > hardware, sending the Chroma signal of the TIA throught the switch?

If black and white were done in hardware, graphics that were of the same
intensity but different colors would look exactly the same 'shade', and
things could disappear. or not have sufficient contrast  The end result
would be the same as if you just played a color game on the color setting,
but plugged straight into a b&w TV.  Try playing a game like checkers that
way.

***Mike St. Clair***mstclair@xxxxxxxxx***irc:SaintMick***