Re: [stella] Remember this game?

Subject: Re: [stella] Remember this game?
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 21:34:39 +0100
At 16:07 -0700 31-07-1997, Greg Troutman wrote:

>You got me.  This one was my arcade favorite for months and I thought
>surely it would end up on the VCS eventually...

Don't forget the second phase, when you go back to the mother ship... :)

>I wrote a coarse adjustment routine with single-cycle precision, then
>use one of three copies of a 4 byte sprite (like you would use to draw a
>logo or something) to provide motion in between coarse adjustments...
>Boy was that hard.  It still isn't working quite right, but it's obvious
>it will.

When the lander is leaving the mother ship, part of it has to be drawn
inside the mother ship and part outside. This might not be obvious on the
2600, have you already thought about this?

[Source]
>Okay. Where is it?

I posted it to the list (whith comments in ital-english!) some time ago. It
is the source of an early version, but the kernel is almost the same, maybe
even more readable than the current one.
The main difficulty has been to find a way to draw p0 in any vertical
position while you also have to draw p1 at fixed heights, in various
colors, and reposition it every 7(x2) lines. Not forgetting the
non-symmetric playfield.
Playfield apart, it's not very far from what you'll have to do for your game.
Clue: look at how is done the pattern for p0, with those zeros before and
after...

Ciao,