Re: [stella] Text cheating

Subject: Re: [stella] Text cheating
From: PatMan <dgeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:05:59 -0400
>I agree.  I never thought of this, but here in the US I believe _ALL_
>new televisions sold support closed captioning.

Yes, it's a law that all new TVs must include this "built-in".  For
older TVs they do still sell the external decoder.

>CC is pretty powerful.  You can tell it where to locate the text to a
>certain extent.  It's an all-caps font...

Actually, it can support lower-case as well, though I have only seen
this use for "character names" (to show who is speaking) and for pre-fab
"sponsor identifications" (such as "Closed Captioning paid for by so and so")
I assume that the actual captioning is done in all-caps just for speed --
it's a lot easier to do "live" typing w/o having to worry about the
SHIFT key.  Also, apparently it can support *COLOR* lettering (usually
it is white, but occasionally I have had blue and yellow text appear)