R: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.3 (almost FINAL!, now I need a NAME)

Subject: R: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.3 (almost FINAL!, now I need a NAME)
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 21:37:50 +0200
> Da: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> A: stella@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Oggetto: Re: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.3 (almost FINAL!, now I need a NAME)
> Data: mercoledì 13 agosto 1997 15.30
>
> >Thus, I've added a control for border-bounce: switch Player 1 difficulty
> >"Novice" and the ship won't bounce, switch to "Expert" and it will
bounce
> >again! :)
>
> After playing some more, I got used to the controls. But that bounce of
thing
> still annoys me, so I think the ability to switch it off is a good
dicision.

Done.

> >> When you catch a crystal, you shouldn't be set back a bit.
> >
> >Uhu? Are you sure? This doesn't happen either on my PAL tv and on
emulators
> >(PCAtari, Stella 0.7)!
>
> Sorry, you are right.

No, you were right! That didn't happen on emulators and on my 2600 with
composite video out, but it did happen when I tried the program on another
unmodified 2600! There was an error in the way I had used HMOVE, I fixed it
and now it should be ok.

>The player is set to the left, when he fires in any
> direction. Was that intentional?

#@$!X* this does not happen at all here... I'll try to change things a
little anyway.

> >Hmmm, if you press the button for a short time a single shot is fired...
> >however, it was easy to do, then... swith player 2 difficulty to
"Expert"
> >for single shot fire!
>
> Maybe that time is just too short for me. I can only get single shots in
> one line if I move up or down when firing. Can't you make the time
between
> the two shots a couple of frames longer.

ok, I'll try with higher delays between shots too see what happens.

Rapid fire is a problem when the boss is coming and your fire is switched
to bombs.
In this moment you are usually keeping the button pushed, hence the risk of
wasting a bomb or two.
In the current version I've introduced an automatic switch to single
shooting for the duration of the boss phase, so you have to release the
button and press it again to drop the first bomb.

> >The difficulty of destroying the asteroids is part of the challenge of
the
> >game: when you can't destroy one, and it gets too near, you must escape
> >before it's too late.
>
> Any chance of making the harder to destoy asteroids a different colour

That would't be useful, as in a given skill level all the asteroids have
the same probability of being destroyed.
If you fire 6 shots and they don't destroy the asteroid it's just a matter
of bad luck!

> for casual action game players like me? :-)

What were you doing when Defender was in the arcades? :)

Ciao,
 P.