Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Piero Cavina wrote:
> You must absolutely play it before starting an RPG project on the 2600. Not
> forgetting that it has a very nice way of handling some lines of text.
> If you don't have the Stella CD and you can't find a tape, then maybe Glenn
> could be so kind to "lend" you the binary... :)

I would only lend this guy Dragonstomper if he chose to develop it for the
Supercharger.  I think he's going to hit a dead-end if he goes for banked
ROM and I won't "enable" him.

Also be aware that the source code to the Dragonstomper prototype
"Excalibur" is on the CD, from which much can be learned.

Doug Neubauer spent 15 months writing Solaris using a homebrew dev system
on his IBM PC.  15 months for a guy who had absorbed all of David Crane
and others' 2600 tricks, someone who helped design the POKEY chip.  I have
the source code to it handed to me personally and it's about 1" thick of
code that bounces banks left and right.  Writing a 16K banked ROM game is
not a trivial task and frankly, I do not think anyone on this list is
ready to attempt it, let alone 128K.

Writing a multiload Supercharger game would be considerably easier (though
not necessarily easy) to debug and distribute.

> Supercharger-only games wouldn't really be for all, as not everybody has a
> Supercharger, but it's always a good way to reach the 2600 enthusiasts. And
> they run on emulators.

Multiload SC games won't run on any emulators yet, as far as I know.
However, SCs are still readily available from certain sources for ~$15.

That would save people a lot of money if everyone distributed games
electronically since you only have to buy one cart.