Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:46:26 -0700 (MST)
>I think the RPG people have shown themselves to be stubborn about the
>game and this has been to their disadvantage.  To my knowledge, noone who
>is fronting this project knows how to code, and as long as they are
>beholden on volunteers, the requirement that this be a 16-128K banked ROM
>with superchip RAM only further limits their chances of soliciting a
>programmer.  And if they decide to do it themselves, they will still have
>to face the steep learning curve and they probably won't have the game
>done by the end of the century as a result.

If I'm not mistaken, the person who has conceived of this idea already has
some working code.  It was posted to this list under the name "r.bin".
This was just a sample landscape, the player has not yet been inserted.

And hence, the project plan has been to write the kernel first, then the
story.

I'm not saying it will be done either; INV looked like it was just SO CLOSE
and then, bam... development ground to a halt.  This happens with amateur
projects.  Amateurs also tend to come up with things professionals never
thought og.

So all I can do is wish my best luck to those who are working on this.