[stella] Another 2600 game idea

Subject: [stella] Another 2600 game idea
From: combee@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Ben Combee)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:42:50 -0500 (CDT)
Well, driving to work this morning provoked another idea for a 2600
game, one that I had not seen implemented on the platform yet.

This game would be an adaptation of the mine cart sequence in Super
Mario RPG for the Super NES.  You'd have a character in a cart that
stays near one edge of the screen like in Moon Patrol.  Using
playfield graphics, you'd have four or five levels of platform, with
higher platforms disappearing sometimes.  Your controls would let you
slow down, speed up, or jump, and a jump would be sufficient to get
from one level to the next highest.

Periodically, groups of 1, 2, or 3 coins would appear floating over
a platform such that you would have to be on the platform and jump to
grab them.  Coins from higher platforms would be worth more points as
they would be easier to grab.  Occasionally, there would also be
blocks on a platform such that hitting one would derail your cart.
There could also be holes in the bottommost platform through which
falling would be bad.

If you used playfield graphics for the platforms, a player for the
cart and occupant, a duplicated player for the coins and blocks, and
maybe a missile to add color to something, I think this wouldn't be
too hard to implement.

This might even work as a two player game, using a split screen like
in Sonic 2 on the Genesis.  This could be a timed game, like Freeway.

Anyone have any thoughts on this... I might try this as my first 2600
project, if I ever get the time to work on it.

--
Benjamin L. Combee (combee@xxxxxxxxxxxx) <URL:http://www.yak.net/combee/>
...if the highlight of your day is prowling through signatures looking for