R: [stella] a thing that doesn't let me sleep...

Subject: R: [stella] a thing that doesn't let me sleep...
From: "Piero Cavina" <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:19:16 +0200
> Da: Erik K Mooney <emooney1@xxxxxxxx>

> >...how could they put seven aliens per row in Atari Galaxian?
>
> Short answer: lots and lots of code :)  It's an 8k game... disassembling
> the code
> shows about half of the second bank to be mostly the same section of code
> repeated over and over, except with small differences.  May even be as
> much
> as a different routine for each possible combination of aliens present on
> any
> particular row.... either that or a different routine for each possible
> number of
> pixels for the leftmost alien to be offset from the left edge of the
> screen.

Ok, we're entering the twilight zone... :)

>  Here's a snippet from Distella:

(...)

>        LDA    $87     ;3
>        NOP            ;2
>        STA    RESP0   ;3    pixel 107
>        STA    NUSIZ0  ;3
>        LDA    $88     ;3
>        INY            ;2
>        STA    RESP0   ;3    pixel 140
>        STA    NUSIZ0  ;3
>        LDA    $89     ;3
>        NOP            ;2
>        STA    RESP0   ;3   pixel 177
>        STA    NUSIZ0  ;3

> So, pparently,
> hitting RESP0 every 11 cycles and writing different values to NUSIZ
> allows multiple
> copies of objects (?)  The vertical delay is also set, if that matters.

Well, this seems a technique that we haven't yet examined closely (and
neither used in our games/demos).

Can one draw multiple copies of a sprite hitting RESPx more than once in
the same scanline? From the source code above it seems something like that,
but I wouldn't be so sure.

Ciao,
 P.