Re: [stella] smart multicart

Subject: Re: [stella] smart multicart
From: Jake Patterson <jpatters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 21:35:19 -0500 (EDT)
> Ok, now I have this thing in mind... please forgive me if it's a crap idea,
> I know just a little of electronics.
>
> Could a joystick port be used to switch banks of Rom memory? (remember that
> the joystick ports can be set for output.)
>
> Imagine a cart with a 64K Eprom, address lines 0-11 go to the VCS, and
> 12-15 to a DB9 connector plugged into the Player 2 joystick port (some
> pull-down resistors could be needed).
>
> Each 4K bank would begin with the code to switch to the first bank (for
> bankswitched games), or to the bank with the game select menu (for a multi
> cart use). The VCS would switch banks writing to the register that controls
> the pins of the player 2 joystick port.
>
> Pros: minimum extra hardware needed
> Cons: you lose one joystick port :)
>
> Is this a totally inpracticable idea?

Could there be another DB9 port on the cartridge for the second joystick?
The cartridge could pass through the input from joystick 2 after the bank
is selected.

__
  Yet another     Yet another     Yet another     Yet another     Yet anot
 lame (TM)      lame (TM)      lame (TM)      lame (TM)      lame (TM)
3D .sig!      3D .sig!      3D .sig!      3D .sig!      3D .sig!      3D .
This sig and the post preceding it brought to you by jpatters@xxxxxxxxxxxx