RE: [stella] Duel Arena

Subject: RE: [stella] Duel Arena
From: Robert "A." Colbert <colbertb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 10:28:40 -0500
>>>That's right.  I suppose if you generate the waveform on the fly that even
>>>simple sound hardware like the Apple II will suffice.

I tried writing a "playbin" for the Apple II and didn't have a whole lot of luck, didn't stick with it for long though.

The tone generating routines are already in the ROM of the Apple, since the Apple has/had (some models) a cassette port.

I also tried writing it for the 2600 using a waveform, then setting a delay and modifying the waveform, but each time you did, the speaker clicked.  Since then I realized that there is a "speaker click" sound on the 2600, that could use the same algorithm (or similar) as that in the Apple ROM.  Never did anything about it, but if I were inclined to, that's where I'd start.

				Later,
					Bob

Wanna write a game for the Atari 2600?
Check out http://www.novia.net/~rcolbert