Re: [stella] VGA vs. NTSC

Subject: Re: [stella] VGA vs. NTSC
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

> Here's a related thing I'm wondering about.  Certain colors appear
> shifted on both the emulator and television.  That is, objects drawn at
> the exact same horizontal location will seem to be not quite as wide or
> perhaps drawn a teeny bit further to the right as you change only the
> color (darker, or lower luminosity seems to move further right).  Since

This is a byproduct of video monitors.  It's not very pronounced on
computer monitors because they are higher spec and designed to be able to
faithfully reproduce higher contrast images.

Bright colors next to dark colors "warps" the edges.  I had to deal with
this a lot making commecials on the video toaster.  A big white font over
black will result in warped vertical lines bowing inward or outward.

There is also the issue of persistence, like when you play pong and the
ball leaves a trail.