[stella] Open vs. secret development

Subject: [stella] Open vs. secret development
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 02:30:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Piero Cavina wrote:
> If a programmer has done something though, never tried before on the 2600,
> then it must be announced even if there isn't any playable game yet!
> Detalils, details! :-)

He doesn't have to, but if the programmer in question wants to participate
in the contest, he must be open about his work.  That was a rule that I
included in order to keep people sharing techniques with eachother.
Competition is healthy, but not if people hoard their code.

The 2600 is such a difficult machine to write for that the only way we'll
get anywhere is if we pool our resources.

Even if people borrow code from others (like generic scoring routines),
every game is still going to require mostly individualized code dedicated
to the specific demands of the game in question.  And like I said before,
I will mediate accusations of piracy/plagiarism when necessary.

--Glenn