Re: R: [stella] your opinion (fwd)

Subject: Re: R: [stella] your opinion (fwd)
From: emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Erik Mooney)
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:48:24 GMT
>Lock-n-Chase had such a system, but the characters weren't THAT detailed.
>It did take some fiddling with the size and horizontal motion registers
>though... And, of course, double-line res.  But it still stumped the
>hell out of us.

Looks like one player is the player-controlled guy, and the other
player and its missiles are the enemies.  Also looks like the code
prevents three of the computer characters from occupying the same
scanline.  Lock-n-Chase also does playfield stuff, so it's excused for
being double-resolution :)

>But if two of the players are really missiles, and they have color changes,
>they're not really independent are they?  The missiles can be in a different
>horizontal position than the players, and perhaps (I think) they can even
>have different size readings... but, unless you're doing mid-scanline
>tricks, they'll have to have the same color as the corresponding player
>object in that scanline.

Each missile does have to share a color with a player object, but they
can be positioned independently.  The number of missile _copies_ are
tied to the player copies, but their widths are independent (bits 4
and 5 of the NUSIZ registers.)  Same thing with the ball - it can be
1, 2, 4, or 8 pixels in width, and that's controlled by bits 4 and 5
of CTRLPF.

>I can't wait to see it anyway.... the way you're talking them up they
>probably at least _look_ independent...

They do, so far.. all I have is four objects at the top of the screen,
but they can move independently.  I only have one set of paddles here,
so I dunno how well it looks with four players controlling them.
'Kickass' and I are planning to use that kernel twice during the
screen, so the four players will control objects at the bottom,
attacking (and being attacked by) up to four computer objects at the
top.  Picture some weird combination of Moon Patrol, Astroblast, and
Air-Sea Battle ;)