Re: [stella] missile bit width

Subject: Re: [stella] missile bit width
From: kickass <kickass@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 00:12:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Erik Mooney wrote:

> >Yes, this gives you the illusion of having a 8-bits to play with, just
> >like players, but you can't do shapes like:
> >
> >XX  XX
> >
> >Or odd widths like:
> >
> >XXX
>
> So, instead of lamenting the lack of those shapes, you design objects
> that don't need those shapes.  Simple. :)

Yeah, that was my challenge. I managed to come up w/ reasonable
representations of a tank, and a helicopter using the 'missle rules' and
pulled some neat tricks using half player/half missle and doing my best
to make sure you couldn't tell (to create bigger, more detailed
helicopters, tanks (and a jet for the 'all tank' modes,)) which half was
which. I think you'll be pleased with the results, I am.

> >I still think that Warlords is a game that needs to be rewritten.  If I
> >ever do figure out how to program the 2600, I will cut my teeth on
> >rewriting Warlords as an exercise.
>
> Why?  Isn't it great as-is?

Amen, brother!

Zilla