[stella] Activision flicker

Subject: [stella] Activision flicker
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Piero Cavina wrote:
> Speaking of flicker... has Activision ever made a game with flicker (even
> "intelligent" flicker, like in Bob's program)?? I think not.
> Personally, I'm not totally against flicker... better some flicker and good
> gameplay than no flicker with bad gameplay :-)

I think Commando has flicker, but that's just a guess as I have never
played the game.

Activision was great, but I think Imagic had a better stance on allowing
flicker.

Some of the most impressive 2600 games have flicker (Solaris, Radar Lock,
Stargate, Star Wars: The Arcade Game, even Adventure).  It frees up the
2600 to do more independently moving sprites, and have more of them.  It's
never really necessary to drop below 30hz and still manage to fill the
screen with sprites.