Re: [stella] Whodunit?

Subject: Re: [stella] Whodunit?
From: fedeedw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Edward Federmeyer)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:58:14 -0500 (CDT)
>>I think he means that if there is a freely available tetris clone
>>on the net (ie Cubis) then people would be less likely to order Edtris
>>because of it.  People's thinking would most likely be:
>>
>>Why should I spend $16 on a game I've never played (ie Edtris) when I can
>>play Cubis for free?
>
>My thought just now was "It's only $16?  man, that's cheaper than
>Dondzilla's Vectrex games... most of them, anyway.. :)"

Yes, I specifically polled usenet to find a good price point.
Actually I got *many* replies from people that said they would be
willing to spend $100 on a cart like Edtris 2600.  Wow!!  $$Ka-CHING!$$

Fortunatly cooler heads prevailed!  :-)  Besides, I wanted to set a price
that *I* personally would be willing to pay, and I hoped that anyone
following me would price thier games similarly.

I don't like the "way expensive" price idea, because, lets face it,
I'm too cheap to pay really big bucks for 2600 games!  I also don't
like freeware 2600 software beacuse, let's face it, it's not easy to do,
and it's not something any old joe can do like say IBM PC freeware
game programming.  (Comparativly speaking of course!  I also have
written a freeware PC game, and other PC freeware, and that was *tons*
easier!)  And it makes people that less likely to want to pay money
in the future for real carts, which take time to build and certainly
have material costs.

>In fact, I bet I'd buy an Oystron cartridge.  Especially if I could
>save money on shipping by getting them both at once from the same
>producer.

Randy is very happy to deal with any new 2600 programmers in setting
up a similar deal to mine, where he'll do all the "dirty work" :-)
I highly recommend that route.  I've been very happy with the results.

Ed Federmeyer