Re: [stella] video memory

Subject: Re: [stella] video memory
From: "Mike St. Clair" <mstclair@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:59:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Nick S Bensema wrote:

> >> A 2600 game kernel in ROM kinda IS the video memory.  It is the algorithms
> >> and supporting data which generate the display on a scanline by scanline
> >> basis. PMG data for animations, color data for register changes, all that
> >> takes memory, sometimes much more than the video memory in rival 1st gen
> >> consoles.                                                        ^^^^^^^
> >
> >Um, somebody *please* correct me if my interpretation is correct, but
> >these comments seem to me to say that the ram+rom of a 2600 game is larger
> >than the screen buffer/display ram of a modern console.
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Consider yourself corrected.
>
> 1st gen == archaic.
>
> Next gen == Ultimate Virtual Mortal Cyber-Fighter 3 Alpha Turbo Championship
> Versus the Teenage Mutant Samurai X-Men version of NBA JAms, with play-by-
> play by Ben Stein.
>
> Hope this helps.

All right, all right!  Stop the email flood =)  I stand corrected.  I
wasn't 100% sure I knew what Glenn was saying, that's why I asked to be
corrected if I was wrong.  Thanks for the clarification =)

ps I still think that a) using the modern paradigm of video memory, the
2600 has 'none', and b) that calling the addressable ram+rom of the 2600
'video memory' because code that controls video lives there is a stretch
=)

***Mike St. Clair***mstclair@xxxxxxxxx***irc:SaintMick***