Re: [stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions

Subject: Re: [stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:05:26 -0700 (PDT)
> On-topic question: what would folks suggest as the best text entry system
> for a secret message encryption cartridge?  I'm thinking paddles because
> the keyboard controllers are harder to find, and don't have enough keys
> to cover the alphabet.

Actually, I've been thinking about doing a keyboard for the 2600.  I just
haven't done it due to lack of demand.  Anyone like to see something like
this?  While I'm on the subject, is there any piece of 2600 hardware that
people would like to see in the future?

(We now return to the regularly scheduled subject, already in progress...)

If you plan to scroll through the alphabet, ala hangman (using the paddles
instead), I would recommend against it.  Paddles could jump around too much.
Really, I guess it depends on how you implement it.  It could be done.
Driving controllers would be a cleaner solution,  but they're harder to come
by.  Another method would be a joystick driven cursor.  If it's possible to
squeeze the entire alphabet onto the screen, just move the cursor to the
desired letter, then press the button.

> encryption restrictions look silly when a 2600 cart can be banned.)

Oh god.  This is hilarious!  But when you stop and think about it, aren't
European 7800s lacking the encryption hoohah for this very reason?

-Chris