Re: [stella] composite video modification doesn't quite work (fwd)

Subject: Re: [stella] composite video modification doesn't quite work (fwd)
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
> > I have added composite output to my Atari 2600, following the directions of the
> > Atari FAQ,
> > but certain games have colors that are screwed up, such as Pitfall II,
> > Laserblast, etc.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Yep, I've had the same problem.  Even when I fiddled with the pot through
> the small hole in the bottom of the 2600, many games were still screwed
> up.  I've noticed when I change the pot though that many colors will
> change, but some don't change at all. Anybody have any suggestions?

Yes.  The problem with the mods (there are various circuits floating around)
is that the resistors specified have too much tolerance and may be the wrong
values to start with depending on your particular vcs model.  The pot on the
motherboard simply shifts the color burst delay.  Therefore, it affects all
colors simultaneously.  You need a way to change the 3 luma lines independently.
You could experiment to get the right values, but if you want to be lazy,
use pots instead.  That way you can fine tune the colors the way you want them.

I'll try to put a schematic up this weekend.

-Chris

----- End of forwarded message from Chris Wilkson - MCD -----