[stella] re: 12 chars/line!?

Subject: [stella] re: 12 chars/line!?
From: jimn8@xxxxxxxxxx (Jim Nitchals)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
Piero writes:

> ...a variable width font seems a bit too much for the 2600... :-)

It was.  I wanted to avoid ugly effects on W,N,M but they turned out
OK.

> The "classic" score routine can draw 6 digits, that is 6*8=48 pixels/line.

Nope, the playfield is only 40 pixels wide, not 48.  Are you talking
about using 3x copied sprites and rewriting them on the fly?

> XX...X..XXX.XX...X..
> X.X..X..X...X.X.X.X.... etc etc..
> XX...X..XXX.XX..X.X.
> X....X..X...X.X.X.X.
> X....X..XXX.X.X..X..
>
> That would allow 48/4=12 charachters per line (without flicker)!
>
> Can it be done? Or -better- has it already been done?

40/4 = 10 characters per line.  It's done.  Processing the bitmaps only
allows 6 or 7 lines of text per screen (there's not enough RAM to keep
the bitmap around for more than one line of text at a time!)  I kept it
to 6 lines to allow enough free room for the password and user-editable
plaintext/cyphertext.

Stretching rows 2 and 4 of the text gives it better shape without
taking up extra room in the bitmap (6 bytes of playfield x 5 lines.)

My core text engine would be quite suitable for a Wheel of Fortune or
similar game (there's CPU time to do player graphics.)

Off to try player graphics to get 48 pixels wide,

- Jim