Re: [stella] Light gun/pen

Subject: Re: [stella] Light gun/pen
From: Robin Harbron <robinh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:45:24 -0400
Greg Troutman wrote:

> If you can do 8086, you will find 6502 a breeze.  There's only one
> general purpose register and a pair of index registers (like DI,SI)...
> Learning all the new mnemonics is the hardest part.  Of course, knowing
> 6502 and getting a 2600 title out the door are two very different things
> ;)  The 2600 does not work much at all like any computer you might have
> programmed before.

I actually found it the other way round - knowing 6502 made
8086 easy.  The 8086, with so many registers, feels almost
like a high level language, especially with 16 bit registers.
I wrote a fairly simple game in 8086, and managed to do all
my routines completely with the internal registers.  I'm
teaching someone 6510 right now, and he had used up the
A, X, and Y registers in one routine - he didn't know what
to do when he ran out!  So I had to introduce zero page to
him :)  Of course, any assembly experience will help
greatly when learning a new processor.

Coding really intense video tricks on the C64 is very much
like coding the 2600 - you're hitting video registers on
the fly, each and every scan line at precise cycles to
push some really cool stuff out of it - my experience
doing that on the 64 has allowed me to get going really
quickly on the 2600 - reading this mailing list sure
has helped too, of course ;)

--
Robin Harbron <robinh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    http://www.tbaytel.net/macbeth