Re: [stella] Domino

Subject: Re: [stella] Domino
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:15:11 +0100
>Wee, another 2600 game! Did you use background graphics for the stones? In
>this case, there must be a lot of time-dependent code to allow 8 zones with
>indipendent colors..

For the board I just keep changing the background colour like
LDA #$06
STA ColuBK
LDA #$56
STA ColuBK
for every line. Since the SC is all RAM, I can easyly change the values,
when needed. Alligning the code in a way, that no instruction crosses
a page boundary, without wasting too much ROM space, took quite some time,
though.

>A suggestion: another 2600 puzzle game is better than nothing, but why
>don't you try to introduce "arcade" elements.. mixed puzzle/action games
>are often very interesting.
>For example, if you can add another sprite, there could be something going
>around trying to ruin your work..

Adding anything to the display is a bit difficulty. Only sprites, that
don't change their graphical data throughout the frame or that just
get shifted by the HMOVE command, like the cursor, are possible.

But I'm not sure, if action elements would fit in the game. While it
is pretty easy to place all the stones on the board very fast, getting
higher scores is not. You have to keep in mind which stones are already
on the board and which are still in the pile in order to build up
situations with four-stone-combinations. Maybe an optional clock can
put a little more action in the game, like 'get the highest score
whithin five minutes'.

BTW: Has anyone already tried out the game on a real NTSC VCS?

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg