[stella] Technologies

Subject: [stella] Technologies
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:47:37 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Piero Cavina wrote:
> Probably many are scared by a project of this kind, so it could be a good
> idea to start taking an already existing simple game (ie: golf),
> disassemble it, and write a multiload-Supercharger version. This would
> break the ice at least...

I wish that people would come up to the plate and attempt to tackle
certain technologies.

For instance, Bob Colbert is focusing on intelligent sprite
sharing/flicker routines.

I've already expressed my desire to see the first user-written 4-char or
6-char megasprite.

SC Ram has already been utlitized by Dark Mage and Domino.  It would be
nice to see the first Multiload game.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the missiles used in the innovative way
discussed a while back, shuffling them horizontally and adjusting their
width register to make them appear almost as though they are an extra
8-bit-wide object.

I don't have any problem with ripping out routines from existing games.
The end product will definitely be everyone's own creations.  There is no
need to reinvent the wheel when there was 13 years of development on the
unit.  I think that people should learn the stock tricks and either build
a game around it, or come up with the game idea and then decide which
tricks will best serve that game.