Re: [stella] Who we are

Subject: Re: [stella] Who we are
From: Teknovore <tek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 18:46:36 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Robin Harbron wrote:

> The language wouldn't be run on the 2600 - it would be on a
> "real computer" ;) that would pump out 6507 code that
> would be the game.  I think it'd be quite easy to write a
> generic kernal that would handle the 2 players, 2 missiles
> and 1 ball, and allow a simple background - then you'd have
> to create the game logic that could run outside of the display -
> it's certainly possible, the only problem is that all the games
> would tend to look the same, like games made with Game Maker,
> or the Shoot-em Up Construction Kit (SEUCK).

I didn't mean to imply that the language would be run on the 2600,
that would be several orders of magnitude more insane. Take, for
example, the excellent GBDK (game boy development kit), which allows
one to code gameboy games mostly in C. What I meant was that perhaps
even a 2600DK that allowed you to use C was overkill for the precise
timing of the 2600, and that Forth would be a much more appropriate
language.

> An interesting project tho - I'll think more about it,
> possibly be a part of my C64->A2600 package.  BTW, it's
> available for download on my web page now - check it out! :)

There are freely available forth packages for the C64 I believe.

 "Nothing is to be feared but to be understood."  / Julian Squires  /
 "A fool and his data are soon parted- encrypt"  /  Teknovore      /
 "You can run but you'll only die tired!"       /   tek@xxxxxxx   /