Re: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)

Subject: Re: [stella] correct behavior of multi.bin (Bob Colbert's game)
From: Greg Troutman <mor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 09:06:04 -0800
Robert A. Colbert wrote:

> >1. Objects disappearing off the right side of the screen.  With PCAE they
> >show up again on the left side.  With z26 they disappear.  Which is correct?
>
> The objects should wrap around on the left side, just like in PCAE.

Everything works fine on XStella, but it looks better on TV.

Just one comment: I don't know what your plans are, but I would try real
hard to create patterns which avoid situations with too many sprites
intersecting. The transition from looking real smoothe to really blinky
is almost worse than it being just a little flickery (30Hz) all the
time, I think.  Other than constraining the sprites, I can't imagine how
to address that.  I mentioned Spider Fighter before, and I think if you
shoot for a sort of midway point between that game's constrained sprite,
but no flicker, model, and a less-constrained, but 30hz flicker, model,
you might hit the nail on the head...

Suppose you limit sprites 1 and 2 to the upper half of the screen,
sprites 3 and 4 to the lower half, and make sprite 5 from the other
player graphic and let it go everywhere.  So, three sprites move freely
in a zone, with never more than one frame-division needed on any
scanline.  Or maybe limit the sprite motion so that when they do
intersect on a scanline, it occurs within a 48 pixel horizontal range,
so you can combine them into a 6 byte RAM buffer and write that line via
a 6 digit text trick.  Colors would warp on that one line though and it
might not look much better than flicker...

Just thinking out loud.

--
mor@xxxxxxx
http://www.crl.com/~mor/