Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 22:25:11 +0100
At 9:09 -0600 4-12-1997, Robert "A." Colbert wrote:

>	Well, here is what I have so far.  I have been pretty happy with
>how this project has been going!  The latest version has the following
>features added:

Interesting.. thought I still think that collision detection may bring you
some headhache... :-)

It's time for the part I really like..: gameplay suggestions!
After playing with it for a while, I've had this idea..

The basic concept is that this should't be another shoot-em-up game.
First of all, you should add gravity to your shots, so they follow a
realistic parabolic trajectory.
Your opponents will be objects flying upwards.
The main goal of this game will be to stop the flying objects by filling
them with your shots, so that their motion becomes slower and slower and
they eventually start to go back to the bottom of the screen.

       U <-- objects flying upwards: don't let them reach the top of the screen
       ^
       ^                 o
       ^  U           o     o
    U                o       U  <-- fill the flying objects with weighty shots
                    /          v
    your base --> XX           U <-- filled objects go down
                 XXXX

What do you think? It seems quite original to me.
Human cannonball+Missile Command+the 2nd stage of "Pooyan". :-)))

>jumps a scanline occasionally on a real VCS.  On PCAE, the screen is
>stable.  I will zero in on this problem and let the author of PCAE know
>about it asap.

PCAE is very tolerant. You can test your program on Stella for DOS before
the real 2600, if it jumps on Stella then it's very likely to do the same
on the 2600, so you can save some time with the quicker test on the
emulator.

Ciao,
 P.