[stella] Oystron High Scores

Subject: [stella] Oystron High Scores
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 23:18:39 -0800 (PST)
I finally tried the newest version on a real 2600 (actually a 7800) which
was modded for composite.  It runs significantly faster than it did on the
emulator on a 486/100, which makes it that much more challenging.

Despite this, with some practice and mental discipline, I've scored over
11,000 on level 1.  What are your high scores so far?

Also, does everyone agree with me that the Warp mode in Oystron is one of
the most frantic experiences you can have on the 2600?

Oystron is the kind of game that demands your constant attention the way
Robotron does.  One must be mindful of the entire screen at all times and
there is always something to take care of, either gathering pearls,
avoiding enemies, destroying enemies from the front, or destroying theives
from the rear.  It also requires precision flying due to the inertia.  So
many modern games let you sit around and wait for things to happen, or
give you a breather between levels.  Oystron is fast and furious from
start to finish in the greatest tradition of classic quarter eaters of the
early 80s.  It will frustrate lazy gameplayers who are used to snoring
through a single 30 minute game, but it will inspire those who have the
guts to master a game of this type.

It's been a long long time since an Atari 2600 game has commanded my
interest for days at a clip.  Oystron has revived some of the enjoyment
for videogames I thought had lost me when I entered my 20s.  Playing the
classics is great, but you can only break in a classic once, like the
first time you played Asteroids or Missile Command.  Discovering the
subtleties of Oystron really is like going in a time machine back to 1981
and breaking in a new Imagic or Activision title and I encourage others to
specifically write original titles using Piero's model.

It's really unfortunate that none of the programmers I interviewed has
sought to check out and comment on this game, to perhaps validate its
quality compared to their origial classic titles.  Perhaps Burger Bill
would like to render his opinion??

I can't wait to see some of the other titles get closer to their final
form.  It's this kind of thing that was what I really wanted to come from
the Starpath CD project more than anything else.

I think I've made this quote before, but Rob Fulop said to me, "This
system is all about gameplay".  There are no temptations to use 3D
hardware or 24-bit color or full motion video here.  The 2600 environment
forces you to deliver streamlined code and decent gameplay in every single
byte.  It's great both as a technical AND creative exercise.

I hope all of you recognize the rewards that can come from this, rewards
that are far greater than just winning the contest.

== Glenn Saunders  --3D Graphics / Videography / Web development--      ==
== krishna@xxxxxxxxxxx homepage http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 ==
== Stella@20 video page http://www.primenet.com/~krishna                ==
== TV Commercials page http://www.lawguru.com/production/production.html==