Re: [stella] Multi game with collision detection! (multi050.bin) included

Subject: Re: [stella] Multi game with collision detection! (multi050.bin) included
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:51:08 -0800
Well I finally put together another ROM carrier so I could play it on a real
Atari.  Cool.  Comes up great on my traditional 4-button model, but when I
try it on my Rainbow model, you know, the miniature, modern looking one with
the rainbow silkscreen, I have problems.  More often than not, when I power
it up I get a blank screen, or some perversion of the game.  Only on
occasion, maybe 1 in 5 tries do I get the game you had intended.

Although there may be others, I know of one other game that behaves
differently on the *Rainbow* than it does on the *traditional*.  Yar's
Revenge.  On the *traditional* when you power it up you get a nice black
background.  On the *rainbow*, sometimes you get the correct appearance, but
sometimes you get stripes down either the left or the right side of the
screen.  Usually they're green.

While working on z26, I made an interesting discovery relating to this.
Paul Robson's original A26 on which z26 is based, initializes the contents
of the emulated RAM and TIA registers to zero.  A reasonable thing to do.
But I can be positively mediaeval at times.  I thought I saw a way to save a
few bytes of code in the .COM file by leaving these things uninitialized.
After all, who in their right mind would depend on the contents of hardware
after a power up?  Well, you might be surprised.  In any event, when I left
these things uninitialized, Yar's Revenge displayed a nice green stripe
right down the left side of the screen when the emulator was started.

So I guess the moral of the story is that the *rainbow* Atari 2600 seems to
power up with TIA registers and/or RAM in a different state than the
*traditional* model.  Not that this has anything to do with Multi050... but
who knows ???

BTW, I still haven't fixed object wrapping in z26, but I really like how
obvious Multi050 makes the bug.  I know of no other game that makes it so
obvious what needs to be done.  Cool.

John Saeger