Re: [stella] Xmas Program-- MacStella problems!

Subject: Re: [stella] Xmas Program-- MacStella problems!
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 15:23:43 +0100
>Uh, it's not a Mac fault - it doesn't work on Stella for W95 too. And I
>don't know why... :-(
>
>Anyone tried to understand what's wrong with this demo and Stella? I posted
>the source with the original message...

I have tried your demos with Stella07 for DOS and the error message was
about undocumented instuctions being executed. What happens is, that
Stella07 reads the starting address from the reset vector at $FFFA.
Since your demos only sets the IRQ vector at $FFFC and the BRK vector
at $FFFE, the reset vector still points to address $FFFF. This is the
end of the address range and can't contain a usefull instruction.
Therefore the emulation crashes.

Also your demo turns the Vsync off for three lines, before it turns
it on for another three lines. That is not really nessessary. One
STA Wsync before the STA Vsync, to make sure the Vsync starts at the
very beginning of a scanline, should be enough.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg