Re: [stella] Piracy

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy
From: "Lee R. Krueger" <leekru19@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 06:51:24 -0800
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Chris Cracknell wrote:
> > then go ahead and distribute it, if you want to make a profit doing it
> > then go for that too. Even though activision and atari claim they have
>
> It would be highly hypocritical of me to go ahead and release a Starpath
> CD without asking for permission, and even worse to take profit from it.
>
> Besides, as someone who's gotten written up in Wired magazine and is
> mentioned here and there on the net, I can not "hide between the cracks"
> like those guys burning CD-Rs in their free time.  I'd rather not even
> suffer the finger-pointing that could result from such actions, regardless
> of whether I'd be liable for a lawsuit.
<snip>

Having said that, how do you feel about Sean Kelly's multi-carts?

I don't have a problem with piracy of this sort. Reason being, that if
these games were available through stores and such, I would buy them. As
it is, many of these games, Supercharger included, are not available for
purchase from the "legal owners" or retail chains. As such "piracy" is
the only viable way for many to play games thay would not be available
to the general population. The only time piracy hurts anybody, is when
the legal owners suffer a financial loss. It's like photocopying a book
that is out of print. Who is losing money? Surely, if the book company
thought there was a market for it they would still sell it. Certainly,
the person who really wanted to read and or have a copy of the book
would have bought it legally if it was still available.

The bottom line is I think piracy of this type is o.k. as long as it is
recognized as a copy and the original art (as it were) is not altered
and credit is given to the originators AND the product is not being
marketed anymore. This is the only way many classic gamers will get to
play, otherwise, obsolete games. Now, however, if someone were to copy a
game, package it and sell it off as an original, then we have a problem.
But that isn't the case with Sean Kelly's Muti-carts and I don't believe
it's the case with people making copies of the Cyberpunks CD. Most of
these folks would buy the real thing if there were more available.
Copies have no real collectable value!!!

Just my two cents.

Lee
Buy/Sell/Trade Atari and Other Classic Video Games
<http://idt.net/~leekru19/trade.html>

Krueger Homepage
<http://idt.net/~leekru19/>