Re: [stella] Piracy: BINs

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy: BINs
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 21:39:04 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Nick S Bensema wrote:
> Glen has said a dozen times, there will be no more Supercharger CD's
> made.  In theory, then, it would be no worse to have the source code

A decision will be made shortly, after Russ finishes renegotiating.

I'll also have him ask about publishing the source code.

Let's go about this through legal routes first.  I'm not against pirating
source code because it is really only of use to those who want to learn
how to write 2600 games, which I endorse.

> this list is doing that right now.  But as far as BINs being
> liberated to ROM sites, no way.  Those BINs, in my eyes, are free
> until the JTS sends out ninjas to find out who may be spreading
> them.

I would hold off right now.  If JTS and Bridgestone deny me, then I don't
care, but if that happens now, that will take out all the wind from my
sails to push for another run.  Whether or not it would realistically
influence sales, it would demoralize me nonetheless.

If people want to get their Starpath games raw and without embellishment,
then there is no need for a reissued CD, but if they want the whole
package, they have to be patient.  In my mind, the proliferation of
Starpath BINs and a reissue of the CD simply can not coexist
simultaneously.