Re: [stella] variations on a theme

Subject: Re: [stella] variations on a theme
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:39:20 +0100
At 10:12 -0500 12-01-1998, Erik Mooney wrote:

>> - (you'll like this): if you miss the invaders and the saucer, the whole
>> formation goes down one row :-)
>
>Too difficult, I think... especially when there's only one invader left
>and you miss it three or four times befoire hitting it.

I've already done that, I think it's great.. (if you don't get angry too
soon... :-)

>I have the feeling that this happened accidentally while testing some
>other stuff and you liked the effect :)

more or less... :-)

>> - floating shields, like in Atari Space Invaders.
>
>That'd require changing the destroy-shields routine a little more than I'd
>like... you can do it if you want, but it'd probably more effort than it's
>worth.  You could have a game variation with no shields easily, though.

Another thing to consider, is that currently the Invaders cannot destroy
the shields. This should be fixed, but it doesn't look so easy...

>> - challenging stages: each n-th stage is a challenging stage. Here, the

>I think this is doable, if you make
>the score routines handle more than 4 digits (this extends the game
>significantly)

Yeck! :-/ Score is the worst part of any 2600 game... :(

>> BTW, don't ask for invisible invaders... I'd have too many things to change.
>
>The mere concept of even trying to make the kernel do that had me laughing
>for about five minutes :)

Don't you here a voice saying "nothing is impossible"...? :-)

Ciao,
 P.