Re: [stella] adventure

Subject: Re: [stella] adventure
From: Ruffin Bailey <rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 10:47:34 -0500
>And it's the Atari 400 version which is responsible for Elite and all of
>those games, really.

So did the 400 version come out and become successful before the 2600
version was released?  That is, is 2600 SR a port of what would be a
future 8-bit classic?  And does anyone know what the thinking was behind
the "re-release" of the number pad with 2600 SR (ie, new design from the
programming pads and then no furhter games, afaik/remember).

2600 SR was certainly creative and innovative in a way no other 2600 game
was, if you ask me.  To take difficulty switches and turn them into
crucial inputs for gameplay was fantastic.  To a certain extent, it
reminds me of when games on the C=64 started going back to the keyboard
for more buttons or the start and select keys on the NES became used for
more than pausing games (in addition to their obvious functions).  To me,
then, the order that the two versions were released becomes somewhat
important regarding how much of SR was innovation and how much was simply
trying one's dangest to get out a port of another game.

Ruffin Bailey
rufbo@xxxxxxxxxxx