Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?
From: jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:40:25 -0500 (EST)
> Yep, the Lynx and 7800 encryption was to prevent unauthorized 3rd party
> development (only Atari and Epyx had the encryption routines, and the
> consoles would refuse to run unencrypted games), the encryption scheme
> provides no copy protection whatsoever.

For the record, Lynx encryption is not a problem.  An unlicensed game,
T-tris is the name, IIRC, has been published.

My understanding was that 7800 encryption plus the difficulty of hardware
emulation were the primary reasons that the 7800 hasn't gotten its own
emulator.  Further, does anyone know if the PAL 7800 has encryption?  I
ask because I've heard that there can be some problems with exporting such
encryption materials outside of the US.  Perhaps I have this completely
backwards, but I'd be interested to know nonetheless.

matt