Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?

Subject: Re: [stella] Piracy -- copyrights expired?
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 01:10:34 -0600
jvmatthe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Yep, the Lynx and 7800 encryption was to prevent unauthorized 3rd party
> > development (only Atari and Epyx had the encryption routines, and the
> > consoles would refuse to run unencrypted games), the encryption scheme
> > provides no copy protection whatsoever.
>
> For the record, Lynx encryption is not a problem.  An unlicensed game,
> T-tris is the name, IIRC, has been published.
>
> My understanding was that 7800 encryption plus the difficulty of hardware
> emulation were the primary reasons that the 7800 hasn't gotten its own
> emulator.  Further, does anyone know if the PAL 7800 has encryption?  I
> ask because I've heard that there can be some problems with exporting such
> encryption materials outside of the US.  Perhaps I have this completely
> backwards, but I'd be interested to know nonetheless.

No non-US 7800 has any encryption, whether PAL or NTSC, for the reason
you mention. 7800 emulation is a bit of a problem anyway, since very few
people seem to have any documentation on the hardware.

--
Video games: http://www.angelfire.com/tn/squirrels
TW (online game): http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/1367